Pharming Group N.V. is committed to transforming the future for our patients. We develop innovative products for the treatment of unmet medical needs.
- Headquarters in NL, R&D in France, EU and US: 170 employees in total
- 1st product approved and marketed: RUCONEST®
- Recombinant human C1-esterase inhibitor (enzyme replacement therapy)
- For acute angioedema attacks in patients with hereditary angioedema (HAE)
- Marketed in USA, EU, Korea and Israel with other territories coming
- Platform technology makes recombinant human molecules cleanly and efficiently
- New Enzyme Replacement Therapies (ERT) for other genetic conditions about to enter clinic
Pharming is focused on the following activities:
- Commercialising its own products in the major markets, with RUCONEST® as its lead product at present
- Where the product is partnered, assisting the partner to obtain the best value for RUCONEST® and patients by pursuing additional regulatory approvals and additional indications for the product
- Developing more convenient dosing forms of RUCONEST® and developing RUCONEST® for additional indications
- Developing or acquiring new products which can be used by the same physicians who treat HAE patients, or can help those patients further, or can be commercialised using the same infrastructure Developing new protein replacement treatments for enzyme-deficiency disorders such as Pompe disease and Fabry’s disease, and other possible approaches Developing new products through collaboration with CSIPI, such as recombinant human Factor VIII for the treatment of Haemophilia A
- Evaluating external opportunities to enhance the product range and pipeline to enable better value from Pharming’s resources.
Pharming is committed to:
- Producing good value for all stakeholders through an entrepreneurial culture with appropriate recognition and efficient management of opportunities and risks; and
- Communicating openly, consistently, fairly and in a timely manner to all internal and external stakeholders; and
- Operating to the highest standards of ethics, environmental responsibility and animal welfare; and Continuing to maintain the highest levels of social and corporate responsibility as a pharmaceutical company, a research organization, an employer, a partner and a workplace.
Board of Management
Sijmen de Vries, MD MBA, Chief Executive Officer
Chairman of the Board of Management
Dr. De Vries is responsible for the overall management of the Company. Dr. De Vries has extensive senior level experience in both the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. He joined Pharming from Switzerland-based 4-Antibody where he was CEO. Dr. De Vries has also been CEO of Morphochem AG and prior to this he worked at Novartis Pharma and Novartis Ophthalmics and at SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals Plc where he held senior business and commercial positions. Dr. De Vries holds an MD degree from the University of Amsterdam and a MBA in General Management from Ashridge Management College (UK)
Prof. Bruno M. Giannetti, MD PhD, Chief Operations Officer
Member of the Board of Management
Dr. Giannetti is responsible for the Company’s operations including research and development, manufacturing, non-clinical and clinical development, regulatory affairs, drug safety and medical information. He has more than 30 years of experience in the pharmaceutical and biotech industry. Previously, he was the CEO of AM-Pharma BV (NL) and President and CEO of Verigen AG, Germany. He has served as senior management consultant for pharmaceutical R&D projects at Coopers & Lybrand (in Switzerland and the UK). Dr. Giannetti was also worldwide Vice-President Marketing and Medical Information at Immuno, Austria and Head of Clinical Research at Madaus AG, Germany. Dr. Giannetti holds a PhD in Chemistry, a MD PhD degree in Medicine from the University of Bonn and has recently been appointed Professor at the Pharmaceutical Faculty of the University of Seville (Spain).
Mr. Robin Wright, FCA, Chief Financial Officer.
Member of the Board of Management
Mr Wright is responsible for the financial management, accounting and investor relations activities of the Company within the CFO role. He has extensive senior level experience as a CFO of public companies in both the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. He is a qualified accountant and joins Pharming from Sweden-based Karolinska Development AB (KDEV:SS), where he was CFO and Head of Business Development. Mr Wright was also CFO and Head of Business Development at Orexo AB (ORX:SS) in Sweden. Prior to this, he worked in private equity and corporate finance advisory roles, including long periods at Citibank Salomon Smith Barney and Barclays de Zoete Wedd. He has completed over 165 global license and M&A transactions as well as many financing transactions within the pharma/biotech sector. Mr Wright holds a BA degree in chemistry from Oxford University and is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales in the UK.
Board of Supervisory Directors
Mr. P. Sekhri
Chairman of the Board of Supervisory Directors
Mr. Sekhri has over 28 years of operational experience in life sciences with in-depth knowledge of multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology markets and products. Mr. Sekhri is currently Chief Executive Officer of Lycera Corp., a biopharmaceutical company developing breakthrough medicines to treat cancer and autoimmune disease. Prior to joining Lycera, Mr. Sekhri was Senior Vice President, Integrated Care at Sanofi, where he led the creation of innovative solutions and business models to meet patient needs. Previously, he served as Group Executive Vice President, Global Business Development and Chief Strategy Officer at Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. Mr. Sekhri has held positions in small biopharmaceutical companies, large and small pharmaceutical companies, and venture capital/private equity firms, including TPG, Cerimon Pharmaceuticals, Ariad Pharmaceuticals and Novartis AG. Mr. Sekhri completed postgraduate studies in clinical anatomy and neuroscience at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine and received his BSc degree from the University of Maryland.
Mr. J.H.L. Ernst MBA
Vice Chairman of the Board of Supervisory Directors, and a member of the Audit and Remuneration Committee
Mr. Ernst has extensive senior level experience in the field of pharmaceutical development and marketing. From 1969 until 1989 he held several positions at Kali-Chemie AG (subsidiary of Solvay SA), including Head of Pharmaceutical Marketing and Head of Pharmaceutical Division. In 1989, Mr. Ernst continued his career at Solvay and held several positions until he retired in 2004. Amongst other, he was member of the board of Pharmaceutical Division, CEO of Health Divisions, General Manager Pharmaceutical Sector and supervisory director and member of the Executive Committee. Mr. Ernst holds an ISMP Degree from Harvard University and an MBA from the University of Cologne.
Mr. J.B. Ward PhD
Chairman of the Remuneration Committee and the Corporate Governance Committee
Mr. Ward has a broad international network and experience in managing and financing biopharmaceutical companies. He has held senior management positions in the UK, USA and Singapore at several pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, including Glaxo Group Research Ltd, Virus Research Institute Inc, Avant Immunotherapeutics Inc and KuDOS Pharmaceuticals Ltd. His most recent position was CEO of KuDOS Pharmaceuticals Ltd, which was sold to Astra-Zeneca in 2006. Mr. Ward holds a PhD in microbiology from the University of Bath, UK.
Mr. A. de Winter LLM
Chairman of the Audit Committee, and a member of the Corporate Governance Committee
Mr. de Winter has extensive financial experience. He started his career at AMRO Bank in 1980. He worked in the areas of capital markets, investment banking and institutional investor relationship management. In 1990, Mr. De Winter became senior Advisor Corporate and Institutional Finance at NIBC (formerly ‘De Nationale Investerings Bank’). As of 1998, Mr. De Winter was at NYSE Euronext, Amsterdam responsible for advising and admitting companies to the stock exchange in Amsterdam as Director Listing & Issuer Relations. As of January 2009 until July 2015, Mr. De Winter was an Associate Partner at First Dutch Capital, Amsterdam and from 2008 to end of 2013, he was a member of the China and India working group at the Holland Financial Centre which was, inter alia, focused on attracting Chinese and Indian companies to a (cross) listing on the Euronext Amsterdam. He is also an Associate Partner at Nederlandsche Participatie Exchange (NPEX), an innovative online trading platform for securities of SME companies. Mr. De Winter has more than three decades of experience in assisting companies with stock exchange listings for various capital markets instruments. He holds a law degree from Erasmus University, Rotterdam, specialising in corporate law.
Mr. J. Egberts, MBA
Member of the Audit Committee and the Corporate Governance Committee
Mr. Egberts has over 25 years of executive experience in the pharmaceutical and medical device sectors, most recently as Chief Executive Officer at Agendia Inc., a molecular diagnostics company. Prior to this, Mr. Egberts was Chief Executive Officer of OctoPlus N.V., a specialty pharmaceutical company, which was acquired by Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd. in 2013. Mr. Egberts also served as a senior healthcare advisor for 3i Group plc, a private equity firm and as President, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of NovaDel Pharmaceuticals Inc., where he developed a portfolio of pre-clinical and clinical compounds, gaining FDA approval for two compounds. In addition, Mr. Egberts has held multiple business development and general management positions at Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co. and Mölnlycke Health Care. Mr. Egberts graduated from Erasmus University Medical School in the Netherlands and he obtained his MBA from Stanford after which he worked as a management consultant for McKinsey & Co. Mr. Egberts continues to serve on the supervisory board of CHDR (Center for Human Drug Research) and Implanet SA.
Pharming recognizes the importance of clear and transparent regulations in respect of corporate governance for the confidence of investors in its policies and strategy. The Company makes every effort to comply with the Dutch Corporate Governance Code. Where this is not possible, exceptions to the Code are explained in full in its annual report according to the ‘comply or explain’ rule. The Company is continuously increasing its efforts to improve its compliance with the Code.
Pharming has a two-tier governance structure, as is common among listed companies in the Netherlands. The management of the Company is entrusted to the Board of Management (BOM) under the supervision of the Supervisory Board (BOSD).
Pharming has in place adequate internal controls for the management of the Company and the risks inherent in the industry.
More detailed information with respect to corporate governance can be found in the Corporate Governance chapter of the Annual Reports and in the following documentation:
- Corporate Governance Statement 2018 (pdf, 0.4 MB)
- Corporate Governance Statement 2017 (pdf, 0.2 MB)
- Corporate Governance Statement 2016 (pdf, 0.2 MB)
- Corporate Governance Statement 2015 (pdf, 0.2 MB)
- Corporate Governance Statement 2014 (pdf, 0.2 MB)
- Corporate Governance Statement 2013 (pdf, 0.1 MB)
- BOM regulations (pdf, 0.1 MB)
- BOSD regulations (pdf, 0.1 MB)
- Audit Committee regulations (pdf, 0.1 MB)
- Remuneration Committee regulations (pdf, 0.1 MB)
- Whistleblower’s procedure (pdf, 0.1 MB)
- Articles of association NL & ENG (pdf, 0.2 MB)
- Code of conduct (pdf, 0.1 MB)
Pharming has operations in the Netherlands, Germany, France and the USA, with its headquarters in Leiden (NL).
All our vacancies are available on the following site: https://pharminggroup.heeft-vacatures.nl/
If you have any further questions regarding vacancies, or about working at Pharming in general, please contact:
Human Resources Department: HR@pharming.com